Disability Tax Credit Services Call Us: 204.221.9924
Caregiver Amounts • Child Disability Benefits • Spousal Transfers
Call Us: 204.221.8628
home about us questions & answers caregiver contact us
Professional and Experienced Service

Are you a caregiver?
Do you provide care or support to a family member with a physical or mental restriction?

If you answered YES, you should consider the Canada caregiver credit.

The Canada caregiver credit is available in respect of an individual’s spouse or common-law partner, minor child or eligible relative who is dependent on the individual because of a mental or physical infirmity at any time in the year. The dependent does NOT have to live with you.

An eligible relative is a person who at any time in the year is dependent on you for support because of a mental or physical infirmity, and is:
  • your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child or grandchild or;
  • your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s parent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew.
Are you a Primary Caregiver? (Manitoba only can apply for this credit)
This credit recognizes the vital support caregivers provide to those needing care. Manitoba’s Primary Caregiver Tax Credit provides a refundable credit of up to $1,400 a year to people who act as primary caregivers for spouses, relatives, neighbours or friends who live at home in Manitoba. For this tax credit, people requiring care must be assessed at Level 2 or higher under the Manitoba Home Care Program guidelines. They are assessed based on the amount and type of care required for tasks like bathing, dressing, eating meals, mobility and receiving medical care.

Caregivers may claim the tax credit for any number of care recipients up to a maximum $1,400 per year. This credit is refundable and not income tested. This means you can claim it even if you do not have taxable income. The credit may defray your caregiver expenses such as shopping, transport, outings and respite.

Who is Eligible?
To be eligible as a primary caregiver, you must: 
  • provide long term care for someone who is assessed as needing care at Level 2 or higher and who lives in a private home in Manitoba within an Regional Health Authority catchment area; 
  • live in Manitoba and receive no pay for care you provide; and
  • be designated as the primary caregiver by the care recipient.
Call us today for a quick and FREE consultation at 204.221.9924.
  © Disability Tax Credit Specialists. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy
883 Corydon Ave. | Phone: 204.221.9924 | Toll Free: 1.844.494.9924
Home| About Us | Questions & Answers | Caregiver | Contact Us